Patching and paint

Submitted to Community Chat

While very enthusiastic about primer, paint and sealers to redo items there is another favorite product that I have used over the years for both household and crafting restoration.

That secret weapon is a bonding putty fix it stick. They come under several manufacturers and and can have proprietary uses specific to the need. The one I particularly use is inexpensive and easy to find in the plumbing department of my local big box hardware store.

My resin faux antler bowl was missing a tine or point that had broken off.
Epoxy putty is perfect for this sort of repair as it can be shaped sanded drilled smooth and painted after the structural repair has cured. Replacement piece was formed allowed to cure and sanded. Painted with matte acrylic after the repair. 
The whole overall bowl was repainted with acrylic washes to change the coloring from the brown tones to more bone colored white. Sealed with 2X matte sealer.

Encouraged by this repair a more substantial second project repair by epoxy putty was considered- this heavily gnawed antler shed.
I felt it’s presenting condition was not very pleasing due to the degree of missing antler in particular areas. So the two deeply missing areas were filled in layers with epoxy putty. Filled cured areas were sanded smooth followed a thin layer of vinyl caulk was applied then the repairs to get another layer of smoothness. The antler still has some visible gnaw marks in a less dramatic way. Painted with matte acrylic and sealed with 2x matte.

Now my broken antlers are ready for tabletop display.