Make a Wooden Toy Doggie ride on scoot bike. DIY w Video

Submitted to Community Chat

Make a Wooden Toy Doggie ride on scoot bike. - by: Zach Settewongse

This is the perfect gift for a toddler. In my case I needed to build a gift for my 1yr old niece. I looked at a few wooden toy pull along doggie toys and got the idea for a ride on scoot. I have a full video on my YouTube ch where you can watch me build it and learn from my mistakes.

Materials: All the materials are listed in the description under the video.

Step1: Draw out the shape with a pencil on birch plywood. I found it was easiest to get the scale correct by placing the wheels on the wood and then start sketching.

Step 2: Glue all the pieces together with wood glue.

Step 3: Sand it. 120 grit, 180 grit, 220 grit. Take your time here as the final result will show.

Step 4: Primer. Several coats of Rust-Oleum primer. I used a white primer because I was going to spray a light blue over it and wanted it bright. Let each coat dry and then sand in between. On the second and third coats I spray the primer thick to fill in any small imperfections. When do you have enough coats of primer? Well there will come a time when you just have to be happy with it and move on from primer to painting.

Step 5: Spray you're base color of paint. Light even coats of paint. I waited about 30 minutes between coats and sprayed I think 3-5 coats. I then let it dry overnight.

Step 6: Tape and mask for your next color. It's IMPORTANT to wait a good 24hrs for the best results. There are ways to do it faster but just wait. For the circles I used my Cricut machine and just made circles in vinyl and use the negative of the circle as my mask along with blue tape.

Step 6: Apply decals. The eyes and mouth I made from vinyl but you could paint them too.

Step 7: Clear Coat. I sprayed 3-5 coats of Rust-Oleum gloss clear over everything. I then let it dry overnight.

Step 8: Install the wheels. I drilled the holes for the wheels at the end but it would probably be best to drill them before you sand.

Step 9: Let it fully dry/ cure for a few days. I set it aside for 5 days before shipping it. I found that the finish is vastly more durable after curing for a few days.

Hopefully this will inspire you to build your own wooden toy.

Zach Settewongse

IG @Settewongse๏ปฟ