Weathered Wood Patriotic Decor

Submitted to Community Chat

Since I was anxious to try the Varathane Weathered Wood Accelerator that I had received recently (thanks, Creator's Studio!), I used a fence picket to make another door decoration.  I made this one a little shorter, plus I used 1x2's for the box depth. After assembling the box, I was ready to apply the accelerator. Easy! It really changed the look of the wood, I love it. See the pics for a comparison.

I wanted to paint a flag design on the front, so I painted a large star and a few red and white stripes. I used the Testors little paints that I received earlier this year (thanks again).  After letting everything dry, I lightly sanded the box to give that "worn look".  The next day I sprayed on a clear protective coat. After filling with some red, white and blue artificial flowers, I used a screw to attach it to my wooden front door. I did not want it to fall on someone when opening or closing the door.

I love it!  Here's the link to the red one, decorated with flags that I posted a few days ago.

And my video project attempt on YouTube.