New Life for Old Chair

Submitted to Community Chat

This is a chair I just finished refurbishing, I picked this one up at a thrift shop for $5! I didn't take a picture before I took the old seat off, but it was BAD! The frame of the chair was in sturdy shape but the finish was just old, dirty and sticky-like. I took the seat off and was able to salvage the old material enough to be able to use it as a pattern for a new one, but the cushion had to be trashed.

I sanded the frame of this chair for what seemed like forever using a really coarse grit sandpaper trying to get all of theology gunk off until I finally got it down to the bare wood. I stained it with MinWax Golden Oak and then white washed it with chalk paint, but I really wasn't pleased with the way it came out, so I took a rag and put more stain on top of that and immediately wipe it off. I finally had the result I was looking for, so I topped it off with 3 coats of Rustoleum Polyuerathane. I put new foam on the seat and recovered it and I absolutely love it. This was for my craft room/nursery and I wanted it all to match so I bought 2 fabric shower curtains, one I used as a curtain and the other I used o cover this chair and a lampshade.