Oldie Moldie Memories into the Digitial World - Photos and Tapes

Submitted to Community Chat

Guys and Gals,

DIY has many activities. I digitized close to 75,000 photos and slides to add to our close to 20,000 digital pictures and have over 94,000 total, some are dups. I learned along the way to title them by date and location. If the date is important - 2012-09-22-Jenni and Brian Wedding-101 for a title with the "10s" skipped for later spacing and editing - 109, 111, 119, 121 type things.

When you put them in a directory this way you see a roadmap of your life.

Several people I have worked with have asked about resolution. GO FOR THE MAX WHILE SCANNING. Memory is cheap and mistakes and regrets are costly and long lasting.

Tons of free editing applications available and there are a couple of preloads on Microsoft Windows machines. Want something really good? Register AND TAKE an Adobe Photoshop course at a community college. With college enrollment you can purchase TONS of software for non-commercial, student / home use at significant discounts.

Currently taking my 24 10" reel-to-reel, 36 7" reel-to-reel, and over 150 cassette tapes to digital. Yes, it takes time but some are dups I will bypass so... If you are not busy, why not? This is the best video I have found of digitizing tapes and the program is FREE - donations asked for.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-turn-a-cassette-tape-into-mp3s/

My iPod tells me I have four days, 14 hours, and 11 minutes of music. It is going to get a bit more.

Thanks,

Rex