Rustic Sign [Kitchen Decor]

Submitted to Community Chat

I love rustic wood signs! …I wanted one really bad!

Since our kitchen makeover is pretty black and white, I needed something to warm it up a little. This rustic wood does both; 1) warms the room with a natural element and 2) ties the kitchen in with the Dining Room.

I found this piece of wood in the garage, I'm pretty sure it's actually a piece of exterior siding. 

I decided to write the word "THANKFUL" on the sign. I’m not good at freehand, so I printed out large letters and traced them (with transfer paper underneath) onto the board. Since the letters were pretty blocky, I found it easiest to trace the letters if I used a straight edge (this ruler worked great!).

I hand-painted painted the letters with Navy Blue paint by Rust-Oleum. I wanted a some of the wood grain so show through; so I just painted one coat of paint on the board and didn’t paint in on very thick (plus a little of the paint soaked into the board). I finished it off with a spray of clear coat Varathane to seal it all in.

I'm loving how it looks...the kitchen is coming along!! :-)

Want to see more, click here: http://www.creativelylivingblog.com/2017/02/making-a-rustic-sign.html