Love & Hearts

Submitted to Community Chat

I just love taking scrap wood and making them into giant hearts. It measures 26" x 24". This one was done as a gift, to a man who has a terminal illness. His co-workers are going to sign the heart, then I'm going to put a sealer on it. 

I've made quite a few barn board hearts in various configurations, some with lettering, different colors and patterns. Mostly they are 12 - 14" but the large ones are just great! Does anyone else make these or have any tips to creating them? I lost count but I can guess that I've done over 50!

Update: 9/16/2016

I received the heart back with all the signatures and then put a spray protective coat on the wood. I used the Rust-Oleum 2x Matte Clear Spray, it worked wonderfully. It was my first time using it so I tested it on a scrap piece of wood that I wrote on with a permanent market. I was cautious because the last thing I wanted to happen was that the writing smeared or bled. It was just fine, I opened up the cellar doors for ventilation and put about three light coats on. I couldn't resist taking a few pictures of the finished product before returning it this morning.