Counter Height Table

Submitted to Community Chat

I've been trying to figure out what type of table will work in my small kitchen. There is an adjacent dining room, so I decided to build a counter height table that could fit four stools if needed. Pushed up against the wall, it works great as an added counter, the stools tuck out of the way.

The base measures 26"w x 48"l x 34.5"h, without the top. It was made from 4x4's and 2x4's, wood I already had hanging around. The 4x4 cedar posts had some drilled holes that I filled in, I think it was orignally part of a couch that my dad made years ago. I decided to prime and paint the base.

Now comes my problem! I made a top with 5/4 x 6 pine, edged joined with the Kreg Jig. That went ok, except the boards weren't perfectly straight. I decided to stain the top since I love the look of a white base and dark stained top. I went for the Varathane Worn Navy, a great match for my yellow cream, red & blue kitchen. I'm not an expert at this, so my tabletop shows a lot of scratch marks and glue marks (oh no).  I'm looking for advice, could I go over this with paint? maybe dark blue paint diluted with water? I really like the worn, farmhouse look, so maybe a whitewash? Any advice or link to information will be appreciated, thanks!