Bathroom Cabinet

Submitted to Community Chat

We orginally had one of those particle board cabinets that has legs which lets you just place it over the toilet without needing to secure it to the wall. It was fine and served it's purpose, but my wife hated it and so she jumped at the chance to give it away the moment someone needed one. I didn't mind, because I had already come up with several ideas for that space, including open shelves with small cubbies, some with and some without doors. She didn't like those ideas either. She just wanted a nice, simple cabinet with doors. Nothing fancy.

After searching for inspiration, I stumbled across this: https://www.buildsomething.com/plans/P2AB59F481FB132E5/DIYAntiqueWoodShelf

It was simple, yet I loved the cove design on the bottom. I'd never done a design like that, so I jumped at the challenge. I went to the store and bought select pine boards and got to work. I clamped both side boards together to do the cove design so it would be the same on both sides. I drew the design on with a pencil and then went very slowly with my jigsaw. It was easier than I thought it would be and I was really pleased with how it turned out. I barely even had to sand it down to get it to look good.

The carcass was pretty straight forward. I used pocket holes to join everything together and then painted it white. I orginally made doors with the center panel being bead board, but I somehow miscalculated and made the doors about 6 inches too short, ha! I have no idea how that happened. So, when I went back to the store to get more, they were out and I had to settle for a cheap project board. Oh well, maybe the next one will have it...

I kind of wish it wasn't tucked away in the corner as much so you could see the cove design better. But I still love it and am looking for more ways to put cove designs or something similar on another project.