HOOSIER CABINET as an occasional piece or night stand

Submitted to Community Chat

The love of my life, my wife of 37 years, asked me to build two Hoosier style cabinets for her to use in our living room.  She wanted them so we could show off our pictures of our many grand and great-grand children.  My answer was "yes, Dear" but said it may take some time because the size of the cabinets had to be made smaller than a standard Hoosier cabinet which was used in the kitchen to hold flour, sugar and other items.  The sizing was done and you can see the result of my many hours of labor calculating the building size of the project and getting the necessary oak lumber for building same.  My shop had all the required machines to create these gems for my lady.  It was built with the ant traps on each leg of the unit.  They were installed just above each caster on the legs.  On the real cabinet these ant traps were filled with boric acid which poisened the "Bugs" that tried to get to the food stuffs within the cabinet.  I used a light oak stain and finished with high gloss poly urethane.  The metal pieces are solid brass with a high polish.  The drawer pulls, the door hinges and latches made up the brass items.

I was very pleased with the end results and my sweetheart baked me a cake.