Apartment Decor on the Cheap

Submitted to Community Chat

I mentioned in my family DIY post that my daughter finally got the DIY bug and is now shopping thrift stores and checking trash piles for potential makeover pieces.  These two pieces of furniture were in the trash pile.  One is actually a Pottery Barn piece.  The tall white one was stained and cream colored.  The nightstand was ugly brown wood, of course.   She painted both and changed out the knobs.  The other pieces were made from pallet scraps and wood scraps.  She did all the macrame pieces after watching YouTube how to videos.  She has a talent for that!  We also took inspiration from Hobby Lobby and made our own arrows from ceiling fan blades and a yardstick.  We worked on the Pom Pom wreath together....I started and she finished.  The bar cart was a trash pile find that we covered in coffee sacks from her favorite college coffee shop.  Every college student needs a coffee bar.  I painted the Coffee sign on barn roof slate my sister gave me and used chalkboard spray paint on the top.  I made that pallet shelf to fit between her stackable washer so she had a place to put laundry detergent (of course decoupaged in her favorite Lilly Pulitzer print).  She made the artwork.  She hand painted the St. Catherine quote.    She used an old atlas map and lettering to make the picture.  My favorite is her bookend we made from a childhood giraffe that I spray painted gold.  Whew!  We made a lot and had so much fun doing it!  The best part was we used what we found and already had lying around the house.