Bathroom Vanity Makeover - It all started with a new ceiling LOL

Submitted to Community Café

Well it all started with redoing my ceiling. I looked around and saw that my tired looking vanity was desperately out of date. So I started pricing new ones….OUCH!! I just couldn’t justify getting new ones since these old ones in my opinion still had good bones. Plus I realized that if I ripped out my vanities that would lead to me wanting new floors…so you can see where the cost of this project was going higher and higher YIKES!! So I starting thinking I can redo these, in that instance I did a quick research on line and as luck would have it a few tutorials popped up! I love me some tutorials….lol. Off to the home improvement store, with a list in hand, I went:

Rust-Oleum Gel Stain (new type of product I’ve been dying to try)
Rust-Oleum Triple Thick Polyurethane 
Formica Counter Top – Standard size, not custom length 
Sink 
Faucet 
2x2 pine boards to build frame 
stick-on stone backsplash 
After my shopping trip I came home and went straight to work. I carefully removed the old sink, and then I removed the old Formica counter top next to the sink. There left standing was the two cabinets. I started applying the Gel stain. (You may wonder why I choose the Gel stain. According to the tutorials that I have read and to the instructions it required minimal prep. Minimal prep, meaning hardly any sanding, and I’m all about minimal prep!!) However, after applying the first coat of Rust-oleum Gel stain, I realized I would need another coat. Recommendations said to wait at least 8 hours or overnight before applying another coat. So that is what I did, 3 times – so much for minimal! Note: The ease of applying was very simple and took no time at all, which I absolutely loved; it was the dry time that was not so minimal (and not Rust-oleum's fault). After 3 applications I finally had the color I was looking for. 
Now it was time to build a frame for the new counter top. I measured the area for just the right frame size. I took 2x2 pine boards and constructed the frame. I used pocket holes to screw the frame together and the same type of holes to screw into the vanity. A few pocket holes facing up was made so that when I applied my counter top I would not only be able to glue it on, but also screw it down for extra added sturdiness. Once I attached the frame, I applied the same Gel stain I used on the cabinets to match the rest of the cabinets. I found that applying this stain to the raw wood I didn’t have to apply 3 coats to get the same color, one application worked just great :-). I used a coat of a new Triple Thick poly product to finish off the vanities. 
Installing the countertop - Countertop was a bit too big for the space so we had to cut down to size. Once it was cut to size the counter was installed using glue and screwed down using the pocket holes we made in the frame. 
Next a hole for the counter top was cut using a jig saw. Sink was popped in and attached per manufacturer’s instructions. On went the faucet, again per manufacturer’s instructions. 
Last but not least I applied stick-on stone backsplash! Yes I said stick-on. What a great product. It went on easy and gave my cabinets just a little extra pop. I made a shelf to fit between the two cabinets and stood back and took a look at the amazing transformation. Overall the cost of this project was way less than new cabinets and the look is just what this old bathroom needed.