When life gives you wood scraps...

Submitted to Community Chat

... make something new out of it. 

With all of the talk of "upcycled" and "reclaimed" wood projects filling the Pinterest and Instagram world, I have started a little bit of a push back: "claimed wood." I bought it at the lumbar yard for a project... I used it for the intended purpose, and now I have some left over.

Reclaiming it sounds like somehow got it away from me in the first place! So here is a "claimed" wood piece - a TV Console. This whole piece cost about $60 in materials. I had left over 2x10 ends and a number of left over 2x6 scraps. I also had a TV that was sitting on Media Console taking up TOO MUCH OF THE ROOM.

This 45 degree angled piece is exactly measured for my 42" TV, holds a sound bar (or a DVD player) and has plenty of room in the back to hide my Monster PowerStrip. And with some Rustoleum Ultimate Dark Walnut stain and Satin Polyurethane - it looks great.

Materials list was remnant 2x10, 2x6, four angled top plates and four cheap unfinished 12" pine legs. Tools like a drill, miter saw, Kreg jig, and a sander are within most hobbists reach.

No one even has to know I used scraps from my woodshop floor!