Pumpkin lattes, pumpkin bread, pumpkin scented candles, pumpkin pie M&Ms (yes, these are real), and everything pumpkin spice flavored is hitting store shelves and you can't escape it!
Some fun pumpkin facts:
- Six of the seven continents can grow pumpkins including Alaska! Antarctica is the only continent that they won't grow in.
- The Irish brought the tradition of pumpkin carving to America. The tradition started with the carving of turnips. When the Irish immigrated to the U.S., they found plenty of pumpkins and they were much easier to carve.
- The largest pumpkin ever grown weighed 1,140 pounds.
- Pumpkins are 90 percent water.
- Native Americans flattened strips of pumpkins, dried them and made mats.
- In early colonial times, pumpkins were used as an ingredient for the crust of pies, not the filling.
- The pumpkin capital of the world is Morton, Illinois. This self proclaimed capital is where you'll find the home of the Libby corporation's pumpkin industry.
- 3.7 million pumpkins are sold at Halloween each year!
To inspire your next pumpkin decorating event, I wanted to share this REALLY COOL way to create a unique look using Testors enamel paints. The method is called Hydrodipping. Click this link to see the directions. You can use this method for any size pumpkin and any variety! Just make sure you have the correct size bucket :)
If you try this method, please share a picture in the Community Cafe for all to see!