Accent Wall with a Twist

Submitted to Community Chat

In one corner of my living room, I had a saw horse desk that I built several years ago - but I decided it was more desk that I need, so I plan to build a smaller corner desk for the opposite side of the room (still working on) and make this corner my "reading nook".  After moving the chair to that corner, I made a small side table and a blanket ladder (so I can have a comfy blanket within arm's length).

After a few weeks, I decided the corner needed something to make it stand out and thought about painting the wall darker, but I thought it would be overkill.  I always save my scraps and I had a box of 1x6 pieces, so I measured the height of the wall and the distance from the doorway that I wanted and calculated how many shelves I could include.  Some of the shelves were based on the sizes of 1x6.  There were pieces that measured only 4 and 6 inches.  Then I painted just that wall section between the shelves and the doorway.  Now everyone that comes in notices my corner.  It may not be for everyone, but I'm loving it.