Harvest Gold Glitter Paint - My Thoughts

Submitted to Community Chat

Recently, I won a case of Rust-Oleum Glitter Interior Wall Paint in Harvest Gold in the ‘Spray Your Way to Rust-Oleum Fame’ activity.  I decided to paint the gold sections of the Union Jack flag in our toilet area.  I love how the gold looked as it is, but who says there’s anything wrong with jazzing up a good thing!  I wasn’t sure what to expect from this new glitter paint, and decided to do a bit of research before I hit paint to wall.  Besides reading the directions on the can, I did some Googling, watched a couple of YouTube videos, and read some online reviews.  Here are a few of my observations and suggestions:

• This paint is stinky….make sure you have plenty of ventilation, and a floor fan is highly recommended!
  • To get the expected results, paint the glitter over a like color (for instance, Harvest Gold over gold), or a very pale color.  Using a white primer would save a lot of time too.
  • The first coat goes on in one direction, second in a different direction, and alternate for any additional coats.  This guarantees even coverage.
  • Wait about 5 minutes after you apply a coat and check for any dribbles on the painted area.  If you see any, smooth them out, otherwise you’ll have a thick dribble full of glitter, which is very noticeable.
  • Expect to apply at least 3 coats of glitter paint to get the desired effect (check photos to see how the glitter looked after each coat).
  • If the glitter paint starts to dribble onto outlying areas, it is easily wiped up with a paper towel.
  • If you’re expecting a smooth finish, you’ll be surprised that the dried paint has a gritty texture to it.
  • The 1-quart can will do a very small wall area.  Make sure you have plenty on hand if planning on doing a larger space.

Bottom line:  I was expecting a glitter paint that would wow me.  It’s glittery, but not what I was expecting.  I used 3 coats of paint to get close to the look I was wanting, though it could’ve used a 4th coat.  A lot of time and work was involved, and for the project I was doing, it wasn’t worth it.  On the other hand, it would have more impact on a much smaller project, which I will do in the near future. Regardless, I do see more of a shininess to the wall, but if I want to see the glitter, then I have to look at it from a side angle.