Faux Mirror Vintage Tray--bonus blogger challenge project!

Submitted to Community Café

Hello Community!

Vicki here, as you know Mother Daughter Projects is in the current blogger challenge--https://creatorsstudio.chaordix.com/activities/151/response/424. We wanted to share with you another project we did while working on our entry. We got a little sidetracked playing with all the different products we were sent! 

One of our favorites we received (that we did not use in our guest charging station--) is the gold mirror effects paint (http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/mirror-e...). We have used the silver version in several projects, but never the gold. 

Our tray is created from an upcycled solid wood vintage picture frame and mid-century drawer pulls. Because it has a glass top it can also be used as a dry erase surface. 

The gold mirror effects paint was used on the back side of the glass. To achieve the vintage, mottled look, we first sprayed the glass with a mix of half water/half white vinegar. Before this dried we sprayed on the gold. We added a second coat after the first dried. 

We really love the way it turned out and are really sold on the gold mirror effects paint! We also used Rust-Oleum Chalked paint (http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/chalked/ultra-matt...) for the first time on this project and the charging station. We liked the brush on style better than the spray chalked paint although there are certain applications where the spray would be superior to the brush on.

Both great products and worth trying if you haven't tried it. By the way--by voting in the blogger challenge you'll be entered to win the same 8 products the bloggers were sent--here's a link to the blogger challenge landing page where you can see all the projects: https://creatorsstudio.chaordix.com/activities/151-blogger-challenge#search...

See the complete tray instructions on our web page--http://www.motherdaughterprojects.com/blog/faux-vintage-mirror-tray

Note: the frame was lightly distressed with sandpaper and a small amount of Varathane Briarsmoke was applied to the edges of the frame.