When & Why to Prime Before Painting

Submitted to Community Chat

In a recent interview, I was asked about my favorite way to spend $50, and without hesitation I responded, "Paint!" Whether it's a gallon of paint for your walls, or a can of spray paint for just about anything else, paint is an affordable way to make a big impact on a small budget. 

I'm always surprised when I talk to people who are intimated to paint, because I don't hesitate to paint anything and everything. But I think it comes down to the fact that many of us have had bad painting experiences at one time or another, and more often than not, that comes down to improper preparation and skipping important steps, like priming! 

Back in law school I spent many hours painting a laminate bookshelf for my apartment, only to have the paint peel right off because I didn't prime it first. I'm a much savvier DIYer now than I was back then, but I still find myself questioning when I need to use primer for projects around my house.

Priming before painting can feel like an extra step, but taking the time to do the project right the first time will eliminate many DIY mishaps! Knowing when to use primer often comes down to understanding why it's necessary. 

Primers can make your paint project easier and provide better finished results. Using a primer as the starting point will also help avoid common painting issues that make projects take longer and add to the overall frustration of painting. I worked with my friends at Rust-Oleum to create a guide to when and why to use primer, which can be found in my full blog post at http://www.blueistyleblog.com/2018/04/when-to-use-primer-before-painting.ht...