Trash to Treasure Challenge V
Trash to Treasure Challenge V
The winners have been chosen! Thank you for participating and making this challenge great.Read More
It's that time of year, Creators! The annual Trash to treasure Challenge is back for its fifth installment. Can you believe it?!
We've reviewed feedback provided from past Trash to Treasure Challenges and have made a few updates - please read on to learn more! We can't wait to see your projects!
Welcome to the fifth annual Trash to Treasure Challenge
This year's challenge is all about repurposing - meaning you take an item typically used for one thing and transform it into something that's used completely differently! Maybe it's an old rusty tub turned into a bench, a floor lamp into a garden planter, a piano tuned into a bar...let your creativity flow!
To participate, your original "trash" item can be:
- A purchased item from a garage sale or thrift store OR
- An item that has been hiding in your storage unit/shed/garage/etc. that hasn't been touched in a while OR
- An item that you currently use but are looking to find a new use for it
Regardless of how you source your item, it must be valued at $20 or less.
Then you’ll need to use your DIY skills to give your item a brand new look and use. Be sure to take before photos of your item, and share how you take it from trash to treasure. If you find an item you love but don’t know where to start, post a ‘before’ photo in the Community Café. Ask the community for help, ideas, and advice for repurposing your item, and then once you’ve finished the project come back to complete your submission before the deadline.
Once the submission phase closes, our team of Rust-Oleum experts will review entries, and then the community will be in charge of crowning the winners! Projects will be judged on creativity, use of Rust-Oleum products, and most dramatic transformation.
To encourage everyone to participate, the challenge will be broken into four submission categories, with a winner being selected in each:
- Experienced DIYers
Winners of the above categories will receive a $400 gift card to a home improvement center of their choice (Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menards).
Plus, anyone who casts a vote during our voting phase will be entered to win 1 of 3 $50 gift cards to the home improvement center of their choice.
- Find one item valued at $20 or less (either something you currently have that can be upcycled or an item purchased at a garage sale or flea market). See the above "Overview" section for more details.
- Your item must be purchased and/or transformed between July 8 – August 19, 2020. Projects completed prior to this date are not eligible.
- You must use at least one Rust-Oleum product in your project.
- Complete the Trash to Treasure V submission form, which requires you to:
- Include ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos of your project
- List the Rust-Oleum products used
- Enter your submission in the appropriate category
- Choose First-Timer if you consider yourself a novice DIYer
- Choose Experienced if you have done a few DIY projects in the past
- Choose Blogger if you have a ‘blogger’ label beside your username or if you consider yourself a blogger
- Choose Professional if DIY projects/renovations/similar transformations are your main career focus
- Only one submission per person is permitted. Members submitting more than one project will be contacted to choose which submission remains in the challenge. If no response is received, the first entry is the one that will remain in the Challenge.
- This Challenge operates under the overarching terms and conditions that apply to all Creator's Studio Challenges.
Once all of the submissions are collected, our Expert Reviewers will have a chance to evaluate the projects to create a shortlist ensuring all rules have been followed. We'll then pass the final vote to the Creator's Studio to crown the ultimate champion in each category.
To give you some transformation inspiration, make sure you look at the submissions from our previous challenges: